Time for another few thoughts of glee. It has been a beautiful morning. I want to sing along with the cast of Oklahoma! My permasmile turned on full blast, I will never turn it off. (Unless the batteries run out) 1. McCain proceeds unto his doom, doom. Two more weeks of impending doom.
2. Likewise the GOP. It now abides in rigor mortis while preparing for actual decomposition.
3. What shall it fertilize?
4. McCain's loss must not be blamed on Palin. Keep an eye out for those who will attempt such.
5. Does anyone now know what "Conservatism" means? Well... How'd things slip away? Perhaps Neoconservatism has proved fatal to Conservatism.
6. Christopher Buckley has just been purged from National Review. Thus enhancing NR's irrelevance.
7. Not that Christopher didn't deserve it, after endorsing Obama and all.
8. Buckley Junior recently wrote: "Eight years of 'conservative' government has brought us a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance."
9. Ouch. WFB couldn't have said it better himself. And he surely would have tried.
10. Interesting question: If WFB had supported Buchanan in 92 and 96, where would the conservative movement be today? And the nation?
11. Colin Powell endorses Obama at a key juncture. Why? Powell will forever seethe over his February 2003 UN speech which started the Iraq War. A bold betrayal written for him by key Neocons: Scooter Libby, Douglas Feith, John Hannah, William Luti. Powell had deep misgivings beforehand, but ultimately decided to "trust" and do his "duty." Turned out the whole heap of "evidence" was false. Whoops on all counts.
12. As for the markets... There are no guides for the road ahead. No signs, no taillights. Maybe even no pavement. Hence Norman's permasmile!
Well chaps, so much for today's inspiration. Remember, the thoughts make the man -- Let us keep on the sunny side!
Respectfully Yours, Norman Vincent Peale
But Dave Crater begs to differ...
Norman, Norman. Sigh. Your basic instincts have always been good, but you continue to disappoint in some aspects of your conscious judgment. When you are slightly to the left of Colin Powell on national security, perhaps second thoughts are in order. And when glee is your reaction at the demise of the world's strongest conservative party, perhaps third and fourth thoughts are in order.
4. Agreed. Many will dish blame everywhere but where it belongs, including Palin and other Christian social conservatives. One can hear it now: "the GOP needs to abandon these social cavemen that are holding it back and focus on issues that Americans really care about" blah blah blah.
5. Perhaps the failure to observe and follow conservatism, particularly by "conservative" intellectuals like Peale or Christopher Buckley, and by actual policy makers like GWB and John McCain, has been fatal to conservatism.
6-9. Quoting as authority on conservatism someone who has endorsed Obama -as I say, poor judgment, Amigo.
Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org